miércoles, 28 de febrero de 2007

Another fine mess you've gotten me into!

Damn, how does a quiet night with a couple of drinks and some food turn into a nightmare descent into darkness followed by a rise to glory!

I was intending to finally hang out with Carlos after class on tuesday, my last class finished and Roberto and I were drinking in Sand making the most of the cheap prices. After four or five and no news from Carlos we chowed down at the mall and tried to connect once more. He replied but was already home warming his tootsies in front of a fire with a cup of F-ing cocoa and was therefore a big going out disappointment!

Whatever, Roberto and I decided to get hammered and find some adventure and traipsed around a few bars and street drinking parties looking for diversion and people to hang out with. AS the evening dragged on a lightbulb switched on over Rob's head.

"Why don't we buy a bottle of rum and go drink with my alcoholic dad?"

A new mission was underway and so we dropped our unwilling charges and raced to the AM PM in time to buy the bottle and some muffins and chase down the last bus up to Guadalupe. We played some pool at his local cantina and shared cigarettes with chortling, toothless bums, chatted up the 4 foot 8 barmaid Marina and left in high spirits to wake up his Pa.

Arriving at Rob's house we opted for a few joints out the back to prepare ourselves for the high energy drinking session that was about to ensue. We rolled out by the wall and enjoyed the views out across the city towards the volcano Irazu in the distance. Whilst smoking down to the end of the first joint I swung my hand out to the left and accidentally dropped the still smoking butt into the neighbour's back garden... down a 20 foot sheer wall... Roberto eventually laughed it off but he was pretty concerned for a while that his neighbours would bring it back round the next day and embarass him in front of his family. To chill things out he passed me the second joint to smoke and would you believe it, I accidentally tossed that WHOLE UNBAPTISED joint down after the first one.

It only took a minute to soak in but when he recovered his senses Roberto was furious and I was distraught. I've never done anything quite as ridiculous as that in my life and now I'd just done it twice! Awful. Rob was cursing and trying not to scream and shout under his breath, saying how I'd be going to the worst section of hell where I would drop precious things down steep cliffs for eternity!

He was really mad and we were starting to feel some bad karma building when he mentioned that he had a climbing harness in his room. A desperate plan was hatched and Roberto left me to ponder my descent of 20ft in pursuit of the runaway doobies. When he returned I was totally psyched about what was ahead and eagerly strapped on the ropes before testing the weight and support by free hanging.

We moved over to the wall, me with a cycle helmet and wearing only socks, trousers and a wife beater, and I climbed carefully over to begin the climb down. It was easy enough making it down to the ground although it burned my sides slightly but once I was down there I was mobbed by the friendliest guard dogs ever, licking and sniffing like maniacs. Poor fellas probably didn't get much attention, least of all from visitors coming down from the skies in their normally quiet Orange grove.

Trying to avoid the dogs and to avoid stepping on too many oranges I found the butt and the fresh joint after about half an hour of scrambling and scraping and pocketed the evidence with a boyish grin. Then came the tricky part. How to escape from my blatant trespass without shattering the calm of the night and bringing disgruntled, scared, gun wielding Ticos running to engage me in a lethal defence of their property!

We tried scaling the vertical face but had less than no luck with that attempt, getting only a few hand scars in the process. On the right was a low standing shed with some beams underneath and so we replaced the rope more to the right hand side and attempted my climb again. This time I was glad of those sessions in the gym trying to lift and haul my body weight around. TOby would have been proud of my scaling of the shed and Roberto was a veritable Hercules at the top heaving my body weight onto the ledge and up over the wall to safety!

Safe to say that was the happiest most exhilirating joint I'd smoked in a long time and we vowed to pass down this hilarious incident to all future generations we could! Viva San Jo!

"What you risk reveals what you value. "

No hay comentarios: