miércoles, 17 de enero de 2007

“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”

I'm reading James Joyce's fearful depictions of biblical school meditations on the fiery pits of Hell and the intensity of our souls suffering therein. It's a riveting depiction of our final punishment but ultimately one that Joyce came to reject as fanciful and merciless of our Lord.

Knowledge is power but making teenagers run around in a circle like headless chickens can give one a sense of omnipotence that is unrivalled in the teaching profession. Screw the test scores, I only ask that my students leave the room with a smile on their faces and a few bruises to boot. One kid actually stood gleefully punching another in triumph when he managed to leave the cursed seat of doom! I had to restrain him with imploring sarcasm - "Big and clever Marco, big and clever."

I won a pound at poker last night but I was happy not to have left penniless for a change. The game dragged on into the madrugada but eventually we all agreed to cash up and exit into the mild morning air for our respective abodes.

Everyone who reads this should pay attention for my next post where I shall entreat to you all the gems of the silver screen that I have discovered - with a little help! - whilst residing in Costa Rica. Some genuine treats!

Adieu!

"You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered with hair."

1 comentario:

Lost/Found dijo...

"I´m a bubble"
and I really can´t remember any more.